This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Unable to replace a shortcut icon on Win2000

4 replies to this topic

jennetta

jennetta
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 July 2002 - 21:42

My install is installing a newer version of the same application program, but the new version of the application has a new icon.  The call to AddFolderIcon is passing REPLACE as the 8th parameter.  But the icon in the Start Menu folder -- despite being updated with the new path -- still has the old icon showing up.  For this app, the icon is stored in the EXE, so there's no separate .ico file.  Anybody have any ideas how to get the new icon to show up?  Is Windows 2000 doing some caching that I don't know about which is not allowing the new icon to be used once the old one's already in place?
-B
Bill

jennetta

jennetta
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 22:19

Even if I first call DeleteFolderIcon to remove the icon and then create it with AddFolderIcon, the old icon version is used on the shortcut.  Can anybody explain this?
Bill

jennetta

jennetta
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 17:10

The answer to this question seems to be the icon caching Windows does for performance reasons.  The file ShellIconCache lives in %WINDIR%.  My problem of the icon not updating was resolved when I either deleted %WINDIR%\ShellIconCache or else modifed display properties, which forces Windows to refresh the ShellIconCache file.

I don't think I want my install to be modifying display properties, so I believe I will have the install delete the ShellIconCache file as part of the install.

Here's a link to an article on the subject:
http://support.micro...;EN-US;q132668
Bill

stdcplusplus

stdcplusplus
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:23

how to delete the ShellIconCache file?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org