This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

setup.ISS living in a different location

5 replies to this topic

brooklyn300

brooklyn300
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 19:38

Here's my pickle.

I have a 3rd party installer that I need to launch silently. The 3rd party has supplied me with ISS files that I need to modify prior to launching their installer. That being said, the ISS file lives in a completely different location than the setup.exe

Application Lives at:
<cd drive>:\3rdParty\AppName\setup.exe

Setup.iss lives at:
c:\test\setup.iss

I am using Windows Scripting Host to make the following call:
<cd drive>:\3rdParty\AppName\setup -s -f1c:\test\setup.iss

The resulting error in the Setup.log is "-8" telling me that it is an invald path to the response file.

Am I missing something here? Does the ISS have to be in the existing path of the setup.exe?

Any help would be appreciated.

--Jonathan

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 22:41

No, the ISS file doesn't have to be in the existing path. That's the whole point of the -f1 parameter.

Your syntax looks correct, so does the same thing happen when you just run the commmand directly from Windows instead of this scripting language? 'cause it may be losing something in "the translation".
user posted image

brooklyn300

brooklyn300
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 22:48

The same thing happens if I attempt this from the command prompt.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 01:04

Okay, then have you confirmed that this third party installer is actually done using IS Pro 6.x and not something different or older? 'cause it may not support this operation or the syntax may be different.

Also, just to verify the ISS, try put both the setup and this file in the same directory and just running it with with -s switch.

Finally, has this setup been wrapped so that it's a single-executable install? 'cause if it has you need to have the -a switch before all those other ones.
user posted image

brooklyn300

brooklyn300
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 17:52

Here we go:
* It is confirmed that the third party is using 6.x installer
* I have put both the installer and the ISS in the same directory. And the result is that it does work as expected
* THis particualr installert is not wrapped up in an EXE. This was one of the first things that I had verified.

I'm completely out os ideas on why this isn't working

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 19:26

Well I just gave this a try for myself, but I was successful in using an alternate location for the ISS. This was a 3rd party setup that done was using IS 6.31. The only differences were that the path to my setup as in quotes since it was a long filename, I was running my setup off of the hard drive instead of the CD.

Edited by TacoBell00, 28 July 2003 - 19:52.

user posted image