This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

multiple language msi

5 replies to this topic

seachris

seachris
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 23:18

I am trying to create an msi for 14 languages. I set english as default but even the Developer help states, that if the locale is German, and the default msi language is English, the install should start up in German. Right now I have a german locale, but the install comes up in english. I can see for a split second the german welcome screen though. Even changing the default language won't change it. Writing a script to look up a registry key can't be the answer, since the default value is not always set.
Anyone have any ideas?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 14:35

If you enable the language selection dialog and explicitly select German, does that coirrectly diaplay the dialogs in German?

wleara

wleara
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 19:59

Hi Stefan, "searchris" never responded, but I think I have the same problem. I'm using DevStudio 9 and making a Basic MSI. I've specified the languages (e.g. German) in the Project Properties and in the release. When I try to launch the MSI on a German system, an initial dialog flashes in German, but then the "InstallWelcome" dialog is in English, the default language. I don't think the "Lanagues dialog" applies, since I have no SETUP.EXE, this is just a .MSI file.

I'm sure there is a quick answer to this; I have many years of InstallScript experience, but this is my first MSI project. Can't the MSI auto detect the language of the OS (e.g. 1031 for German) and put up the appropriate strings?

Edited by wleara, 13 October 2006 - 20:51.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 13:22

Multi-language setups without using setup.exe are not possible (officially). You would have to launch the .msi file with the appropriate language transform on the msiexec.exe command line. InstallShield's setup.exe does this for you.

There's an undocumented way described here:
Multi-Language MSI Packages without Setup.exe Launcher

RayS

RayS
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 17:20

I tried following the steps provided in the above document but it didn't seem to work for me. I used InstallShield 12 Premier Edition to render the MST and MSI. Any help on where I might have gone wrong, please let me know.

FYI: I couldn't find a place in the Summary Information that referenced the languages codes, so that might be the problem.

Again any help would be greatly appreciated!

wleara

wleara
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 19:02

You can edit your package with Orca. Click "view/summary information...". You'll see the Languages field there. Make sure to delete the leading "0,".