This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Power Editor table entries

2 replies to this topic

bernadettefearon

bernadettefearon
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 11:44

Hello all,
Again I would like to ask a simple question!!
I am still relatively new to installshield and I wondered about the tables in the power editor, I have not added anything to these in the course of my installation, should I ?? Specifically the update table , if I do not have any values in this table will this affect subsequent product updates I make??
Sorry if this seems like a really simple question but I havent been able to go to an INstallshield training session yet.

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 12:34

I am sure you know by now that msi files are databases.   The msiexec program interprets these databases to effect an installation.  You only need to author the tables that you are using.  ISWI hides most of the tables from you.  (and some of the power of msi).  The power editor gives you access to the tables that ISWI does not support (eg. the Upgrade table) or you may need to add to (eg. the Error table).

The Upgrade table is a very important table but is not needed until you build your first upgrade (and not always necessary then).  The important thing you need for upgrades is to keep the Upgrade Code constant between different version of your installation.

This does not mean you should ignore the power editor.  It gives you access to some ot the useful features of Windows Installer.  Look the tables up in the msi documentation.  

You can search the target system for files, components, registry, directories etc.  All useful to check if you need to install something or not (eg. MDAC).

You can remove files and registry keys when you are installing

You can define text and errors for custom actions.

and other stuff..

The power editor is useful.