This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Executing an Action when Uninstalling

2 replies to this topic

mrouthier

mrouthier
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 March 2002 - 23:15

Hi!

I know how to execute a custom action during installation.  It works great.

Now I would like to execute a custom action when the user uninstalls the application through 'add/remove software' in the control panel.

I was able to execute this custom action when the user uses the MSI file to uninstall it but I can't force the user to use it; he may have deleted it or simply used 'add/remove' instead.

I have the sentiment this is a common use of an installation system but I have not found this topic in the docs.  Is it possible to do?

Thanks in advance,
Mathieu Routhier

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 17 March 2002 - 23:21

There is no difference executing a CA when installing or uninstalling.  There are a few points to be aware of.  

You can not call a CA installed with the product after it has been removed.

You should not call a CA on the installation media because the installation source may not be available.

I think it is best for CAs called by the installation to be placed in the binary table so they will always be available.

mrouthier

mrouthier
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2002 - 23:58

You gave me an hint ! :)  Solved !

For the people interested, I was placing my CA in the InstallUISequence.  I moved it to the InstallExecuteSequence table and it now works number one.

Mathieu Routhier