This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Leaving InstallShield for Wise

3 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 17:57

OK, after many years, I'm leaving my current company, which uses InstallShield Developer 8 to author its setups for a company that uses Wise For Windows Installer Professional Ed. v 6.10.0.450.

First, is this site still a good resource for Wise products or is it primarily for InstallShied users?

I know some of the Windows Installer stuff is vendor neutral, but I'm just wondering what I'm up against in switching authoring tools.

For anyone that has used both products, is the learning curve huge or are concepts and mechanisms similar?

Also, does anyone know where I can get my hands on a Wise for Windows Installer Professional Ed. reference manual of any kind? I'm sure the company I will be working for has one, but I'd like to read up on the product prior to my starting date!

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

One note, if I need to find another reference site for Wise, I will sorely miss InstallSite as it was more helpful than words can express over the years!

huh.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:50

For non-MSI setups, the content of InstallSite mainly is about InstallScript, not WiseScript. But since you are staying in the Windows Installer world, you can continue to use this site. While I guess that most users here are using InstallShield, the majority of topics is really independent of the tool vendor. Of course I may not be able to tell you where to click in the Wise IDE but I guess you can find this yourself.

If I recall correctly Wise uses some pseudo script approach to display the MSi sequence and logic. You could download their trial version, which should also give you access to the online help and maybe some whitepapers.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 13:54

http://forum.install...showtopic=15647
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 16:16

Thanks for the replies folks!

They were both helpful and relaxing at the same time. The company I'm moving to wants some changes to their installs pretty quickly and I didn't want to have to traverse a large learning curve! It seems that maybe InstallShield is the slightly more complex animal, but I guess I'll see soon enough!

I will continue to use this most excellant site when needed, you can count on that!

THANKS!

biggrin.gif