This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrade Setup That Contains New Components

2 replies to this topic

elliottrb

elliottrb
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 22:27

Hello,

I am looking into adding multiple Icons to our setup.  I have it working using Icon0 - IconX file groups each containing one icon and Icons\Icon0 - IconX components each associated with only one file group.  I use ComponentSelectItem and a condition to select which Icon component gets installed to the TARGETDIR.  It works well as a new install or an upgrade to a new install.

The problem I am having is if I upgrade an existing install that does not have the icons technology (Icons\Icon0 - IconX components and file groups) included with the new setup that does have the icon technology included, the ComponentReinstall function dumps all icons instead of only the one I need.  It doesn't matter which icon component is selected by my condition, the function just installs all of them.  It seems like the ComponentReinstall() function is trying to reinstall something that wasn't there before and is sort of freaking out and just installed everything that's in the Upgrade setup.  I did check in Setup Types and made sure that I did not have all of the Icons components selected.  I only select the default Icon\Icon0 component since I want that one installed regardless.  So that shouldn't be the problem.

FYI, even though all icons are installed into the TARGETDIR, the correct icon is used in the shortcuts.  So if I can just get this component thing fixed I'll be ready to release this version.

All replies are appreciated.

Thanks,
Robbie
Robert B. Elliott[br]Systems Engineer[br]Xact Radio Network, LLC.

vtoledo

vtoledo
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 19:43

From my understanding, ComponentReinstall will always re-install the components selected by the setup-type that's in the locally cached log file.

Try declaring a separate Setup Type and run ComponentSetupTypeSet(New_Setup_Type_Name) before the ComponentReinstall function.  This will force the log file to use the new setup type.

Please note that if you have a component selected in the original setup that's not selected in the new setup-type, your installation will remove the component.

Hope this helps,
Voltaire

elliottrb

elliottrb
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 22:34

FYI, I ended up using ComponentSelectItem (MEDIA, "Skins", FALSE); and ComponentSelectItem (MEDIA, "Icons", FALSE); which completely deselects the whole Skins and Icons components and the subcomponents underneath them.  Then I grab the component that I need per my selection criteria.  I have only tested briefly but it seems to be working pretty well.  Wish me luck.

Thanks again for your input.
Robert B. Elliott[br]Systems Engineer[br]Xact Radio Network, LLC.