This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Components Order

6 replies to this topic

Majd

Majd
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 August 2001 - 19:06

Hi,

I am probably not using InstallShield right. I am trying to make a setup program that would register about 20 DLL's. These DLL's have to be in a specific order due to some dependencies between them.  I have tried for so long with installShield but I could not put them in the right order.  I would thank everyone for help..

Barbara

Barbara
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 09:21

How do You get the registration information ? If You import regfiles or use the extract at build function there should be no problems with the registration order, because the information is written directly in the registry. If you are using selfregistration, the order of registration is important. You can do the following trick: If you put every DLL-component in a separate feature and arange the features in the InstallShield IDE in the order in which the DLLs should be registered this may work.  The selfregistertable is filled with values in the way the features are ordered.
Barbara

Kelly Russell

Kelly Russell
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 19:40

Interesting....when selecting extract at build will this require a reboot? What is the advantage or difference...why the 2 different ways to register?

Thanks

(Edited by Kelly Russell at 9:43 pm on Aug. 29, 2001)

Barbara

Barbara
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 13:54

This are not two ways to register, there are only two approaches.
If you import Regfiles, the developer of the DLL has to give You the regfile which belogns to the DLL ad You have to make sure that you always have the correct files imported in Your project. The information is written into the Regisytr tabel of the MSI file.
If You use the "Extract at build" function during the build of  the setup medium then InstallShield writes the information for You into the registry table. So difference of this two methods is only how the registry table is populated.
Selecting Extract at build will imho require no reboot.

Barbara

Kelly Russell

Kelly Russell
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 18:07

so if I have a dll that I extract at build and the program that uses it complains that it is not registered...until I reboot...then all is fine what would you think the problem is? Thanks

Barbara

Barbara
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 September 2001 - 09:33

I think that the extract at build function didnt extract all the necessary information. The function is not working always correct. See my post above.
Barbara

Majd

Majd
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 September 2001 - 15:03

I called a friend that knows a lot about ISWI and he told me to rename the components or add a prefix in a way that would sort them by component name.
Changing component name is not a problem because the Dlls' name would not change.

I really did not need them to be inorder overall in my case.

Thanks for everyone's input