This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

IS, msi, WiX, pub?

2 replies to this topic

algori

algori
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 21:47

We are trying to simplify our client install for administrators, many of whom are in locked-down environments. Our current setup solution is an InstallScript exe that basically rots, however, it does discover the existence of certain applications such as Outlook, Groupwise, Notes, Office, KVS, as well as certain document management systems and set components accordingly.

My boss wants to keep the current discovery features and add the following:
• ability for non-admin users to install
• "self-updating" capabilities ( a la "ClickOnce" )

My boss is not against moving to msi but she prefers a web-based approach of install and update. My limited experiments with InstallShield's One-click flop when the user is not admin (even after monkeying{?} around with the registry). Msi with active directory seems incompatible with my boss' preference of pushing via web server. I have just come across WiX and do not know much about it.

I'm looking for a general direction (as well as a pub) - any pearls of wisdom would be welcome. Please note that the poster is still feeling his way around, being relatively green about install development...

Thanks
John

akerl

akerl
  • Full Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 22:32

WiX isn't a tool for software installation. WiX is a very nice technology to create windows installer packages. If you need a click once like deployment solution go to WiX page (http://wix.sourcefor...t/ctvision.html) and look for informations about the newly implemented toolset called "ClickThrough".
The toolset isn't available yet, but I think it comes soon. I hope that your prefered features are included.

Andreas Kerl

Inside Windows Installer 4.5
ISBN 3-86645-431-7

algori

algori
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 22:13

Thanks, Andreas.

I had a chance to try out WiX over the weekend and I am looking forward to seeing ClickThrough in action. WiX is something that would have to be introduced over time as it takes a different approach than we use now.

For now, though, I wrestle with IS's one-click - as my boss prefers a web-based, closed-source solution.

John