This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Custom action after InstallFiles

1 reply to this topic

dorelsturm

dorelsturm
  • Full Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 12:07

Hi,

I have a Basic MSI project that installs a service. Everything is OK, the service files are copied and the service is started at install time. The service has one EXE file, is in one component (EXE file is marked ask key file for that component) and it is controlled (start/stop) using "Advanced Settings->Control/Install NT Services" for that component.

However after I have installed the files (after the files are copied to the destination directory) and BEFORE the service is started I need to perform a custom action (call a function from a DLL). The problem is that in order to work that custom action needs to have the files already installed but the service not yet started.

I added this CA in the Sequences order after the InstallFiles and before the Start Services. The real problem is that my CA is executed after the InstallFinalize step. Seems that all actions between InstallInitialize and InstallFinalize are executed in "one step". All custom actions inserted here are executed after InstallFinalize.

My question is how can I insert a CA between Install Files and Start Services that is really executed at that time. Seems to be very special with all actions between InstallInitialize and InstallFinalize.

Thanks.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 12:30

Make sure your custom action is scheduled for deferred execution.
For additional informatio see article Installation Phases and In-Script Execution Options for Custom Actions in Windows Installer at http://www.installsi...00108/index.htm