This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

display list of files when it copys

6 replies to this topic

hsong3

hsong3
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 18:00

hello everyone

i want to display list of files, along with the status bar, when the installshield copies files to local machine.

i am trying to fine some references or hints regard to this issue but i haven't had any luck....

do i use billboards or scrollable text window????

also, can anyone tell me some resources or hint??

thank you

hsong3

hsong3
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 23:04

I figure this out by using text box and actiontext.

but how can i display installing files in list manner.
(ex, file.doc
file2.doc
file3.doc

hsong3

hsong3
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 01:10

If i use ActionData(as event) and Text (as attributes), it displays only single line of action (which has been taken currently).

I tried to use billoard and edit field to view this action line in mutiple screen, but failed.

How can i display all the lines ????

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 10:13

The default UI does not allow this. The real solution would be writing your own UI, using MsiSetExternalUI, which allows you to process actiondata messages anyway you like. Note that I do not have experience with this.

A different solution would be showing a fake list: just adapt the images of your billboards. It's quite hard when you have a number of features that can be turned off, though.

hsong3

hsong3
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 14:13

thank you for posting a replay.
however, i can not make MSiSetExternalUI to work within my installshield project file. I use the examples from msdn yet, i am having too many issues this this function.

is there any other way to display actiondata in list format?

if MsiSetExternalUI and InternalUI are the only method, then is there a concise example to understand the concept? (of using these functions???)\

thank you

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 12:13

With an external UI, you are supposed to create a Setup.exe, which initializes this UI, then start Msiexec to perform the install. Note that InstallShield puts its own Setup.exe in the result folder.

BTW there's another way: When the page with the actiondata member is shown, run a CA. This CA should:
- Extract a self-made DLL
- Inject this DLL in the process space
- Start an initialization function in the DLL
The injected DLL should:
- Find the control that displays the action data
- Subclass this control
In there, look for text changes: they would indicate new action data. Forward these changes to the intended control.

Note that you should extract and inject another DLL, you cannot use the DLL with the CA - it will be unloaded when the CA finishes. Injecting a DLL could be the answer.

hsong3

hsong3
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 22:50

thank you for the answer,,, but i want to display list of actiondata within the existing install dialog box.

it sounds like almost "impossible" task.

then is there way to at least save these values in text file??
(all the messages, which actiontext display. - the text above progress bar)

thank you!!