This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

desktop icon not correct after uninstall/install

2 replies to this topic

dianemckenzie

dianemckenzie
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 23:21

Hi,

This is a strange problem ....

I ghosted a workstation and installed version 2.4 of our software on it. A desktop shortcut and a entry in the start menu are created. Both the desktop shortcut and the start menu display a 2.4 icon. I then uninstalled version 2.4 of our software. The desktop icon and the start menu entry are removed. This is expected behaviour.

Next, I installed the new 2.5 version of our software on the same workstation. The desktop shortcut and entry in the start menu should display a new 2.5 icon, but the old 2.4 icon is displayed. If I look at the properties page of the desktop shortcut or the start menu entry, it says the default icon is the 2.5 icon, but it displays the 2.4 icon. I tried changing the icon to the 2.5 icon from the properties page, but it still displays the 2.4 icon on the desktop. I try refreshing the desktop, but it still displays the 2.4 icon. I tried rebooting the machine, but it still displays the 2.4 icon.

Now, if I had upgraded to 2.5 instead of uninstalling 2.4 and installing 2.5, the 2.5 icon is displayed correctly.

The 2.4 version of our software used Installshield 6 and the 2.5 version of our software uses Installshield 7.

Does anyone know what's wrong?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 20:37

Try and delete (or move) the file shelliconcache in your Winodws folder. This will force Windows to re-cache all icons. There's also a similar option in TweakUI if you have that installed.

dbareis

dbareis
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 23:09

Windows (all versions appear to have same bug) handling of icons is a bit flakey at times, I've found the easiest solution to be to rename the key in the "Icon" table...
---
Dennis Bareis (dbareis@No.Spam.gmail.com)
Free MSI update/creation tool (MAKEMSI):
http://users.cyberon...eis/makemsi.htm