This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Can't launch after install!?!

4 replies to this topic

dbritt

dbritt
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 15:36

I'm using Visual Studio.NET 2003 and in the Setup Project I have made a custom action to launch my newly installed program in the Install node. Problem is that it installs DURING the setup instead of after I press the Finish (which actually says "Close") button. The setup will hang until I close the application in this case. I want to be able to change the word "Close" to "Finish" and I need to be able to run this application when the user presses Close/Finish.

I spent 9 hours yesterday trying to figure this out and probably 4-5 the day before. No one seems to know how this is done!

TIA

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:22

Visual Studio only exposes a part of Windows Installer's capabilities. You can't do this in VS. You would have to open the built MSI file in Orca to add (or modify) the custom action type to immediate, and asynchoneous, add a control event on the Close/Finish button to launch your custom action. You can also change the button text there. Orca is a MSI table editor (A MSI file is a relational database. Orca is like looking at a database with Excel).
For the launching problem there is a tool available at http://www.cornerhouse.ca/en/msi.html
Another option would be to use a more powerful MSi authoring tool. See http://www.installsi...g/go/msidev.htm for a list.

RSexton

RSexton
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 21:41

Stefan:

Just wanted to tell you thanks for the information aboutr MSILaunch. It's a great little utility. It only does one thing - but it does work.

It's a shame that MS didn't provide us with more power for installations. It's a very important part of the development process.

RS

dbritt

dbritt
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 20:39

Worked great! Thanks so much. Too bad it doesn't let you change the text of the "Close" button to "Finish" or something, oh well. wink.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 07:48

Changing the text should be easy using Orca.