This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

File Versioning

2 replies to this topic

ryan h

ryan h
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 February 2002 - 19:55

Okay,  here is the deal.  My company has a web-client product  and a server administrator product.  Both products need/install the same .dll.  I found out that if the web-client install (Installshield 7 I think) installs the .dll first and then my install(ISWI 2.03) comes along with a newer dated/same version of the .dll, the older dated file wins.  I go into the registry and the reference count is 2 which I believe means that both .dll's are being registered, but when I go to the install dir, the older file/same version file exists.

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 08 February 2002 - 21:18

See MSI Help - File Versioning Rules -> Default File Versioning -> Both Files Have a Version.

From the flow illustrated there, it does not seem that date is involved in this scenario.

ryan h

ryan h
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 February 2002 - 21:23

Hmm, this seems to make sense.  The only problem is the case where same versions, different dates.  I guess maybe we need to get more specific with versions, down to a more granular level.