This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Over writing files?

2 replies to this topic

mattw112

mattw112
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 October 2002 - 18:40

I am new to InstallShield but have years of experience with SMS Installer.  I have a question that I'm hoping someone knows.  In my package I want to install a few files.  Sounds simple... but these files are actually older versions of the files then what are already on the system.  In SMS Installer I have about 6 different options when installing files with regards to whether or not to replace the files on the system... always, never, only if the version is higher, only if the version is lower, etc... In developer though I am looking through everything and the only two options I can find are yes or no.  However, yes means - never over write the file on the system.  No means the file on the system only gets updated if the file in the package has a higher version number.  
So how do I tell it to always replace the file on the PC with the file in the package?
Thanks,
Terry

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 11:10

Take a look at REINSTALLMODE property in MSI Help. However be aware that this setting applies to all files in your package.

mattw112

mattw112
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 20:56

Thanks, I actually knew about the REINSTALL... thing but like you said it applies to ALL files in the package which I don't want.  I can't understand why they wouldn't make it easier to set 'over writting' settings on each file with more than just a yes or no??  Anyway...

I did finally just create a custom action that calls a vbscript that after the install copies the correct (older version) files to the right place...  This will work for now but would've/should've been easier.

Terry