This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Minimum Sql Server version mandatory

2 replies to this topic

pauldavidson

pauldavidson
  • Full Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:01

Using an InstallScript MSI project I have the requirement that an install needs to make sure that the machine has AT LEAST "Sql Server Express 2008 R2" installed.

I know I can go into "Application Data -> Redistributables" and check the box for Sql Server. However as far as I know this only adds the exe for it, and does no logic for when to install it. Is my thinking correct there?

My plan was to write a custom action in C#, probably using WMI to check for versions of sql server, call it from InstallScript, and return a boolean flag to indicate if an install is needed. If it is needed then call the exe somehow to install it, and wait on it finishing.

Would this work? Is this the best way to do this? Or are there built in ways to do it in an InstallScript MSI project?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:08

If you add the prerequisite, it will check to see if the version is already present and only install if it is not. If your application works with an older version of sql if it is there, but you want to install the latest version if there's no sql, then you can modify (a copy of) the prerequisite using the prerequisite editor and tweak the detection logic in it.

pauldavidson

pauldavidson
  • Full Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 17:37

Cheers Stefan