This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Trial update

4 replies to this topic

sebica79

sebica79
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 07:56

Hi there,

I've run in to a problem if I'm trying to make an upgrade from two different Beta product versions, the Extension Trial option doesn't work very well.
Let me explain the problem above, in a few words:

The first Beta was created with the following properties:
The type of trial ware was Try and Die. Trialware file was an *.exe file. The license was required and results ISDRMFile which has been used as ISDRMLicenseFile. No Extended trial option was available for this Beta.

Now, for the next Beta some modifications were made:
First, the INSTALLDIR was changed, I cannot create a minor upgrade because it keeps telling me that the installed files were moved from the project, I have tried to fill the RemoveFiles form the RemoveFile Table, but with no success – doesn’t matter this now, because, by default, if no minor upgrade was defined, and the Product GUID remain the same, the minor upgrade is made.
This Beta has AllowExtensionTrial enabled, the trialextensuindays defined and the serial number also. The problem is that when the upgrade is made, after installation, the trial extension trial is available but only 30 Days- it wasn’t taken in consideration which I have defined. If the trial for the previous Beta has already expired, the Extension trial is not available after I made the upgrade to Beta 2.

Please advise me in some ways ….
Thanks you very much for the help.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 12:51

I think you need to acquire an new trial license if you want to change the trial behaviour. A non-extensible "anchor" for the old license code has already been stored on the target system.
I not sure what you're doing with the files in your update, but I highly recommend that you perform an update validation. If you remove components from your project then your minor update may fail to update some files.

sebica79

sebica79
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:10

Hi there and thank you for taking into consideration my problems,

Actually, it doesn’t matter very much what I’m doing with the files during the minor upgrade. The files are all there – no files have been removed, but files might have been added – and the default INSTALLDIR has been changed.

Actually, if I changed the trial license key, after the upgrade is performed, at the finish, when the activation service is starting, I got an error: “the specified module could not be found”; I did not make a screen shot of the error but the caption is: Activation Manager Init Failed (0). I observed also that I get this error only when the license key from the newer build is not the same with the one that was built in the first build. And here I’m talking about ISDRMLicenseFile table rows: if they are different, the error appears.

Now, if I put in the last build, the same license key (ISDRMLicenseFile), I don’t get the error, but the additional changes aren’t taken into consideration. I mean not all, or probably all changes: the trial extension trial is available but only 30 Days only after I entered the serial number which was defined in extension trial attributes, even if I have set it to 60 days.

My question is, is this another limitation of the InstallShield 11? I mean, for Try and Die type of trial ware, if you set in the previous build (let’s suppose Beta1), no extension trial available and we have a license key (ISDRMLicenseFile) and if we make another build (let’s suppose Beta2) which has extension trial available (with all the required attributes set up) and the same license key (ISDRMLicenseFile), the activation doesn’t work correctly? I mean after the trial has expired, and the upgrade to Beta2 was performed and the extension period validated through the serial number that we entered, shouldn’t the Beta2 period have the value that I have set up in the attribute (Extension Limit Quantity)?

Thank you very much Sir ...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 13:23

I don't really know because I have never tried this type of scenario. I guess it does work if you uninstall the previous version (and use a new trial license)? In this case it will probably also work with a Major Upgrade. (This is just an idea for a workaround).

May I suggest that you either post your exact Activation Manager error message in the Activation Service forum at community.installshield.com and/or open a support case with InstallShield?

sebica79

sebica79
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 13:35

Thank you very much; I have already tried to create a build with another license key. I have uninstalled the old version and installed the new one with the new license key, it seems that everything worked fine … but I was looking for an upgrade solution.

Edited by sebica79, 20 September 2005 - 13:39.