This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install feature conditionally

2 replies to this topic

RayKode

RayKode
  • Full Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 19:16

Hello everyone,
It has been some time, and I hope everyone is well.

Here's the deal.

The version of my application, already installed on the pc, has 4 features
The new build of my application, has 5 features.
There is a new feature named "BL", in the new version.

A decision has been made, to install this new Feature on PCs during a Major upgrade only IF I find a specific file on the PCs hard drive.

Okay, that sounds pretty easy.

I wrote an InstallScript CA that "looks" for this specific file and, if found, sets a public property named BLSCFOUND.
This CA runs in both the User and Execute sequences right after CostFinalize.
(And, via MessageBoxes and such, I'm pretty sure this CA is working as intended.)

Then, based on advice that I read from Stefan (in a reply to another person asking for help), I add the following line, to a button on a dialog, that appears during a verbose Major upgrade.

"AddLocal BL BLSCFOUND".

The above works perfectly, during a verbose Major upgrade.
(Thank you, thank you, thank you.)

The issue I am now having, is figuring out how to make the same thing happen (getting the new feature named “BL” installed), during a silent Major upgrade.

Since there aren't any dialogs, my AddLocal BL BLSCFOUND, line, doesn’t get processed.
And of course this new feature (BL) does not get installed during the silent Major upgrade.

How might I go about building "things" so that the silent Major upgrade will install this new feature (BL) ?

I've been playing with various things for some number of hours now, in an attempt to get things working, but I've had no success.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:33

Since you are looking for a file, you could do this even before CostFinalize (BTW: why InstallScript isntead of System Search?). Now you can use feature conditions (which get evaluated during CostFinalize).

RayKode

RayKode
  • Full Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 14:25

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2012-04-03 11:33)
Since you are looking for a file, you could do this even before CostFinalize (BTW: why InstallScript isntead of System Search?). Now you can use feature conditions (which get evaluated during CostFinalize).

Stefan, you’re a Genius !

One of my earlier “failed” attempts at making “things” work, in silent mode, included setting the feature condition.
(In combination with my InstallScript CA.)

Now however, after considering your (very tactful) suggestion, to consider changing my search, from an InstallScript CA to the IS “System search” facility, everything works perfectly.
In that, setting my new feature, “condition” to use the public property created by the “System search” facility, yields the positive results I was hoping for.

Thank you, for being so generous with your advice and of course, your very valuable time.

Both are much appreciated.

Ray in Wisconsin smile.gif