This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrading shortcuts using Wise for Windows

3 replies to this topic

briggsy

briggsy
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 21:12

Hi Everyone,

I'm using the Wise for Windows Installer Standard Edition, and trying to create an upgrade for a product. I used all the defaults when adding the upgrade (using the Upgrade dialog), so that all features would be removed.

My problem is that the shortcuts are not being removed. I noticed when searching this forum that someone suggested putting the shortcuts in the RemoveFile table, but I'm trying to stay away from doing things behind-the-scenes as much as possible (to make maintenance easier).

So...I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong? If it's uninstalling the product, why not the shortcuts? Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks,
~ emily

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 13:41

In my experience problems like this is generally caused by changing the shortcut name (title) without changing the component GUID of the component that owns the shortcut. If you change the shorcut name you should also change the component guid (and this in turn implies that you should change the file install path or file name).
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

briggsy

briggsy
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 20:31

Hmmm....I gave your suggestion a try, but it didn't help. I'm wondering if we just don't have the project set up correctly to do upgrades. When the setup program was originally written, no one had thought about the possibility of upgrading it, so no consideration was given to following the "rules" for creating an upgradeable install. That being said, it appears to work correctly except for not removing the shortcuts.

I'll keep working on it....thanks again for the help!
~ emily

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 06:26

I have a very strong feeling that the cause of your problem is either:

* A shortcut in an exising component was renamed, but the component GUID stayed the same
* The shortcut is installed with a component set to permanent (or shared = yes)

You can always write a custom action to remove the shortcut. It may even be possible to remove it using the RemoveFile table, but I have never tried this.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul