This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Merge Module Installation Question

3 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 16:26

Previously in our install, I have the DAO 3.60 Merge Module tied to a certain Feature. The feature in installed or set to install from the Ready to Install dialog; Install Now button. Once clicked, AddLocal action sets this feature to install.

Now we have a customer who wanted the install altered a bit to be silent. I can't just use command line switches to silence the install because various features/components are installed based on the parsing of a user entered code.

What I did was created a Custom Action to set ADDLOCAL to the comma delimited list of desired features. The install runs fine as all feature/components install properly, but I'm wondering if this has any effect on Merge Module installations tied to these feature/components. The Custom Action is sequenced in the Execute Sequence as follows

ValidateProductID
setUserProfileNT
SetAllUsersProfileNT
SetAllUsersProfile2K
MYACTION
CostInitialize
FileCost

The reason I ask is because this change is causing the following: Class not registered. Looking for object with CLSID:{00000100-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}. This looks to be pointing to DAO 3.60 as the problem.

Now, according to the user, if they run our previous install method described above, the problem does not occur.

I'm stumped so any points to information would be greatly appreciated.

AS ALWAYS, THANKS!!!

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 18:44

Also, when an installed product is removed, do any accompanying Merge Modules get removed as well or do the redistributables stay?

KathyMorey

KathyMorey
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 15:39

When a merge module is merged into an .msi, its components are treated just like the components in the main project. So, if a merge module is tied to a feature, and the feature name is listed in ADDLOCAL, all of the components of the merge module should install.

Have you tried logging the installation to see if that gives you any clues?
Kathy Morey
Synergy Software Engineer
ProfitStars, a Jack Henry Company
kmorey@profitstars.com

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:51

If the merge module is associated with only one feature and that feature is not listed in ADDLOCAL it will not get installed. You can associate the merge module with all features if you want to be sure it is always installed.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul