This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to keep dummies from stealing MSIs from share?

2 replies to this topic

q3wert

q3wert
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 11:51

Hi
I am scripting a full, transformed Office2000multilang core to XPclients in a secure University-environment. The components are set to run from the clients.
But:
To reduce the mass of data during clientsetup, the 8 langpack-cds are only advertized.
Everything works very well. Switching to other languages and starting the various programs fetches the required features/components from the 8 langpack-shares.

Problem: before I can go officially online with this, I need to protect the MSI-databases in the shares, so no unskilled student can grab, burn and reuse the software easily.

I tried to set the EXECUTEMODE-Property to NONE already. This way the Installer only successfully finishes a setup, when EXECUTEMODE=SCRIPT is put behind as a parameter. But as soon as a Feature/Component is required after a language-change, it doesn't work properly (because this extra parameter might not be passed).
Is there a way to add put this parameter to HKCU\Installer\... to get it passed?

I also tried to make a langpack-MSI ask for a serial but could't succeed so far.

Maybe there might be a custom action that checks for domain-membership or similar?

Any help is appreciated!
THX

q3wert

q3wert
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 17:21

of course you could extend the idea of a domain-check to checking of a tag-file on the client system or so.

hmmm...

if anybody has a good link to a how-to that would save me from going through the huge sdk-docu, please throw it right at me :)

thx

q3wert

q3wert
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 20:24

ok, this looks like what i was looking for:
http://desktopengine...021002153017817

sleep on ;)