This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

beginner not understanding shortcut table

3 replies to this topic

steve_pence

steve_pence
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:15

Thanks in advance for not saying rtfm. I really have been reading and re-reading the msdn docs trying to build my first msi. I'm missing something fundamental regards the shortcut table. The Directory_ attribute specifies where the shortcut will be place by the installer. But it must be an FK to the Directory table where you specify the directories you need installer to build for you. So, ah, how do you tell msi that you want a shortcut to appear somewhere else, outside the dir structure you have defined, e.g. the Start Menu, the desktop, etc ?

Sorry again for the lameness of this post and feel free to direct me to other docs/resources for getting started with msi.

Thanks,
Steve

Gareth at Serif

Gareth at Serif
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:32

You can add any directory structure with any of the pre-defined system folder properties as it's root. They're all documented here:
http://msdn2.microso...y/aa372057.aspx

You probably want to define DesktopFolder and ProgramMenuFolder for your current needs (with any required sub-folders, of course), but it's a handy link to keep.

Good luck,
Gareth

steve_pence

steve_pence
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 13:21

I thought of that, but I didn't see how I could add a directory that wasn't under the root of my target. I realize now it is the directory table I don't truly understand. But I'm on the right path now. Thanks much for your kind and quick response.

Anyone know of a clearer writeup on how the directory table works than MSDN provides?

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:35

Rob Mensching blogged multiple times about the Directory table.
http://blogs.msdn.co.../21/431294.aspx