This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSI localization

8 replies to this topic

Asat232

Asat232
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:35

I can build localized MSI easily, but how can I change language of my setup UI at run time on client machine. I’m talking about Windows Installer without using some extra installation software.
I hope that someone has experience in this field.
Thanks a lot for your help.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:37

I've not had to do this myself but I have seen localised MSIs and, in general, they have either used custom tables (or greatly extented the usual tables) to contain the different language strings used in the UI, or more commonly the setup stub calls language-specific transform files.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Asat232

Asat232
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:13

I can put localized tables into MSI into run time, but VS have possibility to call Custom Action only on Install stage (precisely after all files installed). Can I call CA dll on a stage then MSI only initializing UI and before it appears?

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:20

If you're serious about developing proper setups with MSI, you need to get yourself a decent authoring tool. The two main tools are Wise and InstallShield. They're not cheap but they are the preferred tools.

For now, you can cheat using VS. Add the required Custom Action and then edit the resulting MSI with either Orca (part of the free Windows Installer SDK) or InstEdit so that the CA runs in the correct sequence.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Asat232

Asat232
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:45

I looked through a little bit the Wise Installation Studio and as I understand multilingual support is done by following way:
-create MSI with support of default language (EN)
-create transformations for all languages I need to have supported
-set option to build not MSI but executable.

In my case I have the situation when I should have multilingual installation package that is to run on the server machine in its turn in the process of its execution it should be changed some files (or MSI properties) in contained multilingual client installation package.

I see the way of doing that if I’ll be working directly with MSI. But whether I can achieve that working with executable or not. (I mean Wise Installation Studio).

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:48

I think you *may* be talking about WPS's ability to produce WiseScript-driven EXEs.

IMV, these are to be avoided, since you will introduce unnecessary complication for your target audience who, these days, will almost certainly be using Windows Installer/MSI as the main application installation engine. For example, most corporates would need to take your carefully constructed EXE and re-package it into an MSI. Why not supply an MSI to start with?

If you absolutely *have* to distribute using an EXE you could continue with the MSI/MST route but build a WiseScript EXE that simply extracts the MSI and MST then executes MSIExec.EXE against them. This caters for the corporate world, too, as any half-decent packager will recognise such an EXE, extract the MSI/MST and use them as required.

Asat232

Asat232
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:56

At the beginning of our discussion I was talking about that I need MSI with multilingual UI, which language can be chosen on the target machine.
As you suggested me to take a look on Wise and InstallShield and I looked through Wise Installation Software.
Wise Installation Software does not support multilingual UI in the form of MSI, but only if its build as EXE file. And as told above using this EXE brings up some additional problems for me.

Before buying some installation software for use I need to know that it supported the key features required for our installation. The rest can be done, spending more or less time.
As I do not have an experience in MSI technology I’m asking the help of you who are more experienced in the field.

nan

nan
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 21:57

I would also like to suggest InstallAware installer tool. It supports multi-lingual setups. It is best price performance easy to use product available in the market and also well supported by sample projects. You can try this product and refer the sample project of multi-lingual setups for your problem.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:02

QUOTE (Asat232 @ 2008-06-12 06:56)
As you suggested me to take a look on Wise and InstallShield and I looked through Wise Installation Software.
Wise Installation Software does not support multilingual UI in the form of MSI

That was my error. I should have explicitly pointed you towards Wise Package Studio, a different product in the Wise (now Altiris) stable. My apologies for not making that clear.