This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Minor Updates

4 replies to this topic

vijaybr

vijaybr
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:06

unsure.gif
HI all..
I am newbee in Installshield i am using IS7 SP4 Developer version..

We have an Addbook application of Version 2.0 and want to replace with new version of 3.0 at customers place using patches(updates).

I have following Doubts..

1. Is it necessary that the features present in parent installer should present in updated Installer.

2. If I inlude only features that have to be updated with newer exes the patch creation wizard gives error stating that the features present in parent installer is missing in Updated installer..

3. If this is true then i should include all the features present in parent installer with updated installer and include all the files and exes this will cause time and as if creating a new Installer..

4. Can we not just make changes to a perticular feature and include it during creation of patch? say i have 1,2,3,4,5,6 features and i want to change the exes present in feautre 3 only remaining all feautres will unchanged .. Can i not just inlucde only that feature in updated installer.. if i do the patch creation wizards shows error that remaining features are missing...

5. After running the update exe for minor update when i uninstall the older application means only the patch is being uninstalled but the parent application is still present.. i have to reinstall the parent application and uninstall the parent applicaion for complete removal.. Can some body sujest how to uninstall both the parent and updated exe at one shot..

i am sounding vague or if any thing is not mentioned properly please reply me..
I am newbee in install shield please some body help me out

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:56

Please check Stefan's update rules summary as a first step in answering your questions:
http://www.installsi...msi/updates.htm

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:12

You should build a Minor Update (not a Major Upgrade). You cannot remove features, all features from the old version must be present in the new version. So you first have to build a full release of the new version 8which you will probably need anyway, for your new customers). Then you crerate the patch. A patch is the difference between two versions, so the patch will only include the changed file. Files that are unchanged between the versions will not be included in the patch.

ramu

ramu
  • Full Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 15:18

Thnxs Stefan....

But during uninstallation i am not able to completely uninstall the previous files only the files which are changed or included in patch are being uninstlled..

can u plese tellme how to uninstall both patch and parent installed files

thanks in advance

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 15:25

But you are uninstalling the application, not just the patch? How do you uninstall it (from Add/remove programs, or by launching setup.exe again, or ...). You should geenrate a verbose log of the update and of the uninstall to see what's going wrong.