This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Major upgrade Issues
4 replies to this topic
Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:00
I am creating a major upgrade (for the first time, so please excuse me if my questions are silly) for one of our products. I want to uninstall the previous versions (220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124) whichever the users have, and install this latest version 126.96.36.199. I followed the instructions for creating a major upgrade and did these:
1. Had the original msi (188.8.131.52) and so ran upgradesync choosing the option "major upgrade".
2. After running the upgradesync tool, I went to the Upgrades view under the Installation Expert, it had the correct upgrade code(I verified it from the original install), set the minimum version to 184.108.40.206, checked the "Include minimum version in range". Then set the maximum version to 220.127.116.11 and did not check "Include maximum version in range". Set languages to 1033.
3. In action property I chose to create a new property called "OLDAPPFOUND" (Actually first time I left the default - UPGRADE_1). Checked the options to continue installation & migrate features.
4. After this checked the upgrade table to see if the entries look fine and it had the versionmin & max set fine. The attributes were set to 261 & Action Pproperty was set to OLDAPPFOUND.
5. I then moved the "RemoveExistingProducts" step in the InstallExecute sequence to run after Installvalidate and before Installinitialize as I wanted to uninstall first and then install on a clean machine.
Bu, when I tried installing it I did not notice this uninstalling the previous version. Even though the latest versioned files got installed, the add remove programs had 2 entries of the product.
Then just to see if the "ActionProperty" is being set after FindRelatedProducts, I added the OLDAPPFOUND property on the welcome dialog, but its empty and I assume thats why the old product is not getting uninstalled.
1. Do I need to do something else to set this action property?
2. If I want to restrict the users to let this version 18.104.22.168 install only if they have had earlier versions (0,1 & 2) is there something I can set?
Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:10
The problem is that Windows Installer ignores the fourth filed of the ProductVersion, so essentially it sees all these versions as 1.0.0. So from Windows Installer's perspective you didn't change the version number. Increment the ProductVersion to 1.0.1 (or 1.0.3) this should fix the problem.
Posted 24 June 2008 - 18:34
Thanks! that fixed it. Also, does this major upgrade only install if the previous versions are present? If not, is there a way for me to restrict this install only to those users?
Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:38
I was able to restrict the users to install the product only if the previous versions are present by putting an if statement. I added a display message and terminate Installation action just after the FindRelatedproducts action, wrapped the terminate action with an If condition that tests Upgrade table action property. That seemed to work fine on install. But after putting an if condition to check for the actionproperty, I am having issues uninstalling.On choosing to uninstall from add remove programs, I get a message which says configuring the uninstall and then a blank message box and then the uninstall terminates. I generated a verbose log for uninstall but could not figure out what is going wrong. I am attaching the log file along with this message. Any help would be appreciated.