This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

emailing with attachments after install

5 replies to this topic

mmssi

mmssi
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 15:44

I am using installshield professional 6 and was wondering after the installation is complete if there is a way to have the install program in a script or something to send an email to a specific email address including attachments, which are .txt files, from a certain directory?  any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 18:10

First off ... why on earth do you want to do that?  'cause many users would consider that SpyWare.  If this is install is for internal use well then that's a different story.

As far as your actual question goes though.  Every e-mail program works different and IMAP won't always be available.  Therefore, you're probably best off trying to find a command-line email app. which you can include and subeqeuently reference in your install.  You could also try using the HTML-style mailto: links.

As for the attachments, if it's just text files, you could always just include the content as the body of the e-mail message.

(Edited by TacoBell00 at 12:11 pm on Jan. 17, 2002)

mmssi

mmssi
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 18:17

i will check that out then.  Thanks.  The reason for this is so I know when customers load my updated program that everything loaded correctly (i.e. scripts ran ok, programs are in place, etc) and what date and time the update loaded.  That is the reason for the automatic email.  

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 23:44

Adding such e-mail functionality to your setup shouldn't be too hard - many viruses do it...
I mean: you shouldn't do it IMO

rehenry

rehenry
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 January 2002 - 17:55

I've done this.  I used a freeware mail program.  I did it so that I would know when the users upgraded to the newer version and I could turn access back on.  All my apps are for internal employees only, so it's no big deal.  I even popped up a dialog letting them know to connect to the internet so the install could send the e-mail.  It took some testing, but it worked okay.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 January 2002 - 15:01

FYI InstallShield recently posted a knowledge base article that shows how to download a file from an ftp server using Windows API calls. I guess uploading would work in a similar way.