This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

[Installshield] Setup Files > [MSI] ???

6 replies to this topic

babric

babric
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 16:57

Hi,

During the UI process of my MSI package, I need to uninstall an old package Installshield 6.3 based.
I would like to uninstall it in "silent mode" in order to reboot automaticaly >> don't ask for reboot or not (that's what happens in normal mode) but show a dialog box with OK button saying "You need to reboot" end if press "OK", then the system reboot.

My problem is that it seems that I require a special installshield file to do that. (*.iss or *.inx I don't know)

So, I have to use this file, whereas I didn't install anything, that's why I need Setup files, installed temporarly on the drive.

I currently use an InstallShield Table (ISSetupFile) and I'm wondering if I could not use an MSI table to do the same thing...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 16:26

In order to uninstall the 6.3 setup silently you need to provide a response file (.iss) that will include all dialog entries that the user would normally make. You can generate such a response file by running the uninstall of version 6.3 with the /r parameter.

babric

babric
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 16:55

I didn't explain well.

I have this *.iss file.

I currently use the "Setup File" Installshield's function to perform the uninstall with this file.

I'm wondering what is the equivalent with MSI :-) (How can I use temporary file with msi without using the InstallShield "Setup Files"?)

Thanks !

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:01

Put the iss file into the Binary table. Create a custom action to extract it from there (basically, that's what InstallShield's Setup Files view does; BTW why don't you want to use this?). Sample code "Streaming a File From the Binary Table" can be found at http://www.installsi...s/en/msi/ca.htm

babric

babric
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 17:24

Hello !

I try to be MSI compliant. I found that IS "Setup Files" used the ISSetupFile Table, which is not an MSI Table. I would like to use only MSI table, because my package could be repackaged by other packagers who don't know Installshield. But maybe it is always "MSI compliant", even if I use IS Tables ?

BTW, thank you !

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 13:40

Custom tables are allowed within the MSI specifications. There are even samples in the MSI SDK that make use of custom tables.

babric

babric
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 17:34

oh, ok, that's perfect :-)

Thank you !