This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Windows Installer Engine and Exchange Server 5.5

2 replies to this topic

Irina

Irina
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 18 July 2002 - 16:27

Hi,
I have an NT4 sp5 machine. The Windows Installer doesn't work correctly after Exchange Server 5.5 installing on it. I can not upgrade the Windows Installer to the version 2.0. The error message is "Wrong OS or OS for the application" (I use intsmsiw.exe which was downloaded from site). I unregister msiexec.exe, delete msiexec.exe, msi.dll, msihnd.dll from the system folder and tried to install version 1.2. It reported that the installation was completed successfuly, but looks like it is not true. My installation doesn't work propertly, any custom actions are not executed.
I have found an article #Q264652 on a microsoft site which said the SFC.dll existing in a system folder may cause this problem. I don't have this dll.
My question is does anybody know may another dll's (perhaps from Exchange Server 5.5) causes this problem?
Any help would be great.
Thanks a lot,
Irina Shirinsky
Software Engineer, Heroix Corporation
http://www.heroix.com

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 July 2002 - 16:28

the error message you describe is usually associated with installing the wrong version of the MSI Engine on the wrong OS.  there are two major versions of the MSI engine ( one for the 95/98 the other NT/2000/XP ).  is it possible that someone renamed the file ( called instmsi.exe instmsiw.exe  ) ?   try and download a new version of the instmsi from a validated source....

IF THIS IS NOT THE CASE

you can try the following.  unregister the msi.dll and msihnd.dll using the RegSvr32 -u msi.dll and RegSvr32 -u msihnd.dll.  this will cause the regiastry entries for the MSI dlls to be removed.  with the instmsiw.exe use the /t parameter to extract all of the files to a temp directory.   instmsiw.exe /t:C:\Junk  reregister the msi files using the RegSvr32 msi.dll and Regsvr32 msihnd.dll.  run the MSIInst.EXE from the temporary directory and you should be back in business...

Irina

Irina
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 19 July 2002 - 20:43

Hi,
Thanks for your answer.
1). I have tried the correct instmsiw.exe file. The problem was my machine has NT4 service pack 5 which not enough for MSI 2.0, it needs NT4 service pack 6 or more.
2). Of course, I have done all this procedures before. I guess the problem was in my installation package, the last version doesn't work correctly, but the current version works fine for now.
Irina Shirinsky
Software Engineer, Heroix Corporation
http://www.heroix.com