This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install/uninstall fails to complete

3 replies to this topic

jverne

jverne
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 17:20

I _know_ this is a known issue, but I can't find the answer in my notes, or on this site.  I apologize for adding to the noise if this is an easy one, but my search strings are yielding little.

The problem is that an install (using IS Pro 6.1 or 6.0 [the CLI returns 6.0, GUI reports 6.1]) was interrupted at one point, and now both the uninstall and add/remove programs run the installer, which burns through the movefiles part quickly, without really doing anything.

That is, the last few dialogs flash by, and you can see the progress bar go from 0 to 100% almost immediately.

We've cleared the various cruft from $TMP.  I know I've seen this one before.  Anyone more clueful than me today?

-- j

gatekeeper

gatekeeper
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 18:20

It happened to me too and I found a work arround....
What I did was to Run 'Regedit' and searched for the name which is displayed in the ControlPanel/AddRemoveProgram.
this led to a link
HKEY_Local_Machine\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{xxx}
where xxx is the GUID for my program.
I simply deleted this{xxx} entry from the registry.
At this point you have removed all the log of your old install and now you can do a fresh install.
Remember, this just removes the uninstall log, not the files that got installed from your previous half install.

Hopefully this helps you....

jverne

jverne
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 18:26

Quote (gatekeeper @ Jan. 14 2003,17:20)
I simply deleted this{xxx} entry from the registry.
At this point you have removed all the log of your old install and now you can do a fresh install.

Yup, I had to grab the GUID from the project info, and deleted the uninstall info for the product, tried to reinstall.  I'm actually helping someone get an install working remotely, so I don;t know if this helped or not.

The original problem was that the install appeared to hang at one point at the end, and was forcefully interrupted via the Task Manager.

Hopefully, this "new" install takes.  We removed the destination directory prior to attempting this reinstall.

Thanks.

gatekeeper

gatekeeper
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 19:03

I was also helping a client remotely and had the same situation.... but this worked.
Good Luck