This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installing on deveopment machine

2 replies to this topic

PhilJollans

PhilJollans
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 09:00

I recently installed our product on a new machine with Windows 2000. I then installed the full deveopment environment for the product (in C++ and VB).

On compiling some VB components, I noticed that the Windows Installer popped up and did something.

Was it reinstalling the 'installed' version of a component which I had just compiled?

Would this mean that you should not install a product on a machine used for developing that product?

Phil

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 09:10

We tried installing one of our products on a developing machine and then going on with developing work once. Never again.

Due to Windows installers ability to autorepair missing/changed files (in WI's opinion) and especially registry entries we had the situation that there was a new version of a dll compiled & registered but never used because WI "repaired" the changed registry entries.
h.teichert-ott

PhilJollans

PhilJollans
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 16:22

Thanks,

I forgot to mention, that I have done this lots of times under NT 4.0 and never had any trouble. Of course, the Windows Installer is not integrated into NT 4.0 to the same degree that it is into Windows 2000.

Anyway, shouldn't it be OK if you (auto) increment the version number?

Phil