This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Advertise Feature Problems

3 replies to this topic

jforst

jforst
  • Full Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 00:38

I have a Basic MSI project that includes 5 Features and each feature includes multiple components.

There is 1 main Feature named, "Administrator", which has the following settings:

Install Level: 1
Display: Visable and Collapsed
Advertise: Allow Advertise
Required: YES

Under this Feature is 3 Sub Features and 1 of these has 1 additional sub feature. These features all have the following settings:

Install Level: 1
Display: Not Visable
Advertise: Allow Advertise
Required: YES

When I execute this install and select Advertise for the Administrator feature it Installs the shortcut butnot the files as designed. However, when I then click on the shortcut to install the files, only the files under Administrator and one of the sub features get installed. The files for all the other sub features do not get installed.

Any Ideas??????

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 17:29

When you active a component that is advertised (install on demand) the contents of this component will get installed, plus the other components in the same feature, plus all parent feature of this, i.e. it only goes up in the feature tree. Any subfeatures or siblings will not be installed.

jforst

jforst
  • Full Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 17:55

Stefan,

Thanks for the info. I have been reading everything I can find regarding the advertise feature and after a lot of searching finally came to understand your answer.

So in my situation, where I have a Master Feature with several sub features and the Shortcut is currently associated with a component in one of the sub features, is it best to restructure my install to use only a single feature that includes all components? Or is there another way to make the advertise feature work within the current design?

Thanks again,

Jim...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 09:31

Another option might be a custom action or dialog that calls AddLocal for the other features (I haven't tried this). Or your application should call MSI APIs to request any feature that it needs.