This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Property Settings For Maintenance

1 reply to this topic

KathyMorey

KathyMorey
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 13:56

Basic MSI, IS DevStudio 9 SP1

I have an addin that is authored to run without any dialogs, by using AppSearch to read settings from the main product, which must be installed first. It also has a VBScript custom action to take a registry string and parse it to determine which features are licensed and can be installed, by setting properties that are conditions on the features of the addin.

Install, repair, remove and upgrades are all working well.

However, when the main product is modified, and the license string is changed, a custom action kicks off the add-in with REINSTALL=ALL and REINSTALLMODE=omus. That combination reinstalls what was originally installed despite any changes made to the license string - in other words, the feature states aren't being re-evaluated according to the properties being set.

How do I get the addin project to re-evaluate the feature states so that it will install new features and uninstall deleted features? What gets set when you run an msi from the Add/Remove applet and select "modify"?
Kathy Morey
Synergy Software Engineer
ProfitStars, a Jack Henry Company
kmorey@profitstars.com

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:32

Try without REINSTALL on the command line. Instead set the features states inside your setup, based on the results of the VBScript (or even try setting ADDLOCAL and REMOVE properties from inside your script). I don't think Feature conditions are appropriate for that purpose. Note also the following quote from MSI Help:
Conditions should be carefully chosen so that a feature is not enabled on install and then disabled on uninstall. This will orphan the feature and the product will not be able to be uninstalled.