This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Automation Filename length

2 replies to this topic

RMo

RMo
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 12:20

Hi,

I have an issue with the automation interface and can not find out why.

When I add a file to a component which has a filename of more then 28 characters it will trim the lenght to 28 in the file column of the filetable.

This wil also happen when you drag and drop files from the files view.

I am trying to use the automation interface to create a one file per component installation for our html based help system. This give me much better update control over my installation then using dynamic file linking.

I need to set the keyfile of the component. When Installshield chops off some characters I can not set the keyfile with automation, because the expected filename is not there.

Anyone ever came accross this one?

Raoul

RMo

RMo
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 13:50

I think I got an idea why this is!

It saves 40 somewhat characters for adding a Guid to the filename (see files from merge modules in the final msi)

Not happy with it, but with no one responding I seem to be the only one with this issue!

Is there nobody else who have problems with installing web directories?

Raoul

RayKode

RayKode
  • Full Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 18:42

Good morning Rmo,

I have the exact same issue.

I've had some discussions with IS and they tell me that begining with IS7, they began enforcing a 35 character name length for component name inside a merge module.

There dosen't seem to be any issue with the file name lenght for the key file that is associted with the merge module.

I can, using automation, create a 35 character component name and then associate a file with a name that is 95 characters in length.

I'm going to be posting a question dealing with just this issue, on the community.macrovision.com 11.5 forum shortly.