This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Path in Autoexec.bat

4 replies to this topic

abusch

abusch
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 18:14

Hi,

I am using Developer 7 and trying to set a path using the environment variables area in the IDE.  However when I install on Windows 9x OS the path is put in the autoexec.bat file using the long file name structure.  Windows 9x doesn't like this.

I found a thread at Installshield's news boards that said to put double quotes around the path and I did that but Windows 2000 doesn't like the double quotes.  The thread also suggested using the following format:  [WIN9X_QUOTE][INSTALLDIR][WIN9X_QUOTE] and using a custom action to set [WIN9X_QUOTE] to " when a Windows 9x OS is detected.

The problem I am having is that the property [WIN9X_QUOTE] cannot be set to Null (that I have found) so this technique doesn't work on Windows 2000 either.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what I could try next?

Thanks,
Alan

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 February 2002 - 08:29

I'm not sure why you are unable to set a property to NULL.
You could create two environment entries: one with quotes and one without, and condition them appropriately for operating system.

abusch

abusch
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2002 - 18:24

Hi,

Oh, so I should be able to set properties to null?  I haven't figured out how to do that, but I'd sure like to know.  I've tried NULL, null, and Null none of them leave the property null.

On a side note, I decided to use app paths rather than the environment variable anyway.

Thanks,
Alan

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 February 2002 - 21:33

Setting the property to {} should do the trick. Alternatively you could try so set it to an empty string.

abusch

abusch
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2002 - 22:00

Thanks for the info.  However, setting the property to {} just put {} in the field.  When I try to just blank out the property I get the following a dialog box that says "The specified value is invalid for this property."  What I am trying to use the property for is in the install where the installer has to enter a piece of information that I don't want to have a pre-specified value for.  Seems odd to me that you can't set the property to null.

Thanks for the help,
Alan