This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

.msp package not updating targeting files

2 replies to this topic

hwang

hwang
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 20:33

Hi,

I generated a .msp package file targeting a few .dll files. I used <PatchCreation /> approach with two administrative installs, one from the original release .msi, one from the updated .msi. I intended it to be a small update so I didn't change the product code, upgrade code, or product version. I didn't change the file version of the updated .dll either.

I installed the updates to an existing installation through the command line:

msiexec.exe -p patch.msp  REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vemus -l*vx  patching.log /passive

There was no error. And I could see the patch in Programs and Features>View installed updates. However, none of the files in the installation folder got updated. In the log file, I saw something like the following for every file I want to update.

The file represented by File table key 'Common.dll' has no eligible binary patches

What could be the cause?

Thanks in advance.

He

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:59

Please increment the file version number

hwang

hwang
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 22:06

Thank you, Stefan.

I've tried that and it gave me the same result.

I figured it out. The original .wixproj has a few <HeatDirectory /> entries for DependencyHarvester components with GenerateGuidsNow="true". This generates different new component Guids everytime the WiX project is built (I noticed this in the component table in Orca last night as well after I submitted the question). For small updates and minor upgrades to work, there is supposed to be no component Guid change.

The WiX project I am working on is a little complicated. I didn't know what to attach in my original question, my bad.

Once I set AutogenerateGuids="true" GenerateGuidsNow="false" for each <HeatDirectory /> I have in my .wixproj file, the resulting .msp patch updated the targeted files.

Interestingly in the patching log, I still saw the same message -

The file represented by File table key 'Common.dll' has no eligible binary patches

I guess it's not relevant to my particular issue.

Regards,

He