This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

What folder for per-user non-admin install?

1 reply to this topic

fizzmaster

fizzmaster
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 20:26

As I have read to be certified for Vista, your install must be able to install without requiring administrator rights. For this reason plus several others I want to make my install work under a limited user account. My install is very basic so I hope this will not be an issue.

My question is, what folder should I use to install my application to for a limited user? Obviously I cannot use Program Files since the user will not have write access to that folder. I was thinking that I should use "LocalAppDataFolder" but that seems like it should be for application data and not an application.

Gareth at Serif

Gareth at Serif
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 17:11

Vista actually does special things for files with certain names. For example, setup.exe, install.exe, *.msi and probably others automatically get detected as requiring elevated permissions (unless they have a manifest file saying otherwise). As such, as soon as it's executed you will get a prompt for admin rights and C:\Program Files will be accessible as a result of satisfying that call. The prompt differs depending on if UAC is active, further if the exe/msi is signed.

The Vista Certification is that the application mustn't need admin rights to run, not to install. So long as your application doesn't try to modify those files installed to C:\Program Files\ you won't have a problem.

Regards,
Gareth

Edited by Gareth at Serif, 16 November 2006 - 17:13.