This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Needless reboot after uninstall

5 replies to this topic

shino

shino
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 16:03

Hi all,
I have the following problem.

When uninstall my IS 11.5 project on a hardened machine "Setup.exe", which stays in "Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{GUID}\", is not deleted and is logged for uninstallation. As it is the executable which stays into the installer package and is the actual installation file i cannot think of a way to delete this file during installation\uninstallation.

This is not happening with previous installations of the product , i mean IS 6.3 and previous.

Anyone any ideas?

shino

shino
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 18:21

Just to add that i made the system to reboot, but now instead of deleting the GUID folder it deletes the "Setup.exe" file and copies into this folder "_setup.dll" file. the last file was not in the folder when the product is installed and is copied there from "TEMP\isp...tmp" folder which is created when the installer is run.

i read about problems with this library file if having a multi-language installation, but it is only english selected now, even if all the strings still stays in the IS .ism projects file.

How to add this file to "Disk1" so it could be copied to the {GUID} folder in "Installshield Installation Information"?

shino

shino
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 18:52

Following my thoughts i found out that if i remove the SdFinishEx dialog and the installer just quits after uninstallation, the Setup.exe file still stays in {GUID} folder, but after reboot everything is OK.
At the moment when i use SdFinishEx to quit my setup with the appropriate message the _setup.dll file is at the Setup.exe place and the directory is not deleted.

I know this sounds strange, but i still hope that someone more experienced could find some logic here.

regards,
shino

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:18

If you let InstallShield request the reboot, it will come back after the reboot for the OnRebooted event. I guess this explains the behaviour you see.
Since the reboot isn't needed for the user to keep working (in contrast to the install case where the reboot must be performed before the software can be used) I guess it's save not to request the reboot after uninstall. The cleanup of setup.exe will happen during the next regular reboot of the machine.
Side effects could be:
- if the user re-installs the same setup before rebooting (setup.exe will be deleted during the reboot, so the user may not be able to uninstall)
- other setup may detect that a reboot is pending and request to reboot first

shino

shino
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 13:50

Thank you Stefan.
I just have to show this finish dialog to the end user, and the two side effects are just two more reasons for rebooting the system after this uninstall.

regards,
shino

shino

shino
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:29

I managed to migrate my project to InstallShield 12 project and everything is OK with the new Disk1. This seems to be working because _setup.dll is added to Disk1 directory. Here is a document i found at the InstallShield knowledge base.

http://support.insta...ticleid=Q112115

It needs a restart anyway smile.gif
regards,
shino