This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install exe, run exe, custom action. I always fail

2 replies to this topic

pman

pman
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:17

I'm using installshield 2009.

I'm trying this simple task for practice, but I can't get it to work.
There's only one file in the installation-

I want to install tool.exe, then use custom action to run tool.exe after installing tool.exe.

I add the tool.exe to list of files.
Then i add custom action- new exe > Installed with product
Then I point the custom action to the tool.exe.
I set immediate execution, exec only once, after installfinalize.

I do a test run, tool.exe installs, but tool.exe doesn't run after installation.

I get one warning in the status page-

ISDEV : warning -6558: The Custom Action c in the InstallExecuteSequence table is run from an installed file. To run the custom action successfully, you may need to have a condition that checks if the source file is installed locally.

How do I make this simple task work? The steps seem so simple, but the custom action doesn't run.

Please guide me.

user posted image

Edited by pman, 08 October 2012 - 11:20.

integer

integer
  • Full Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 18:30

Make sure that your Custom Action is in the Exec sequence rather than the UI sequence, try putting it in different spots within the Exec sequence.
http://www.installat...n-installation/

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 15:13

Change execution scheduling from "only once" to "always".
"Only once" will skip the custom action in execute sequence if the UI sequence has run. This is useful if your custom action exists in both sequences but you want it to run only once. But it doesn't make sense if the custom action exists only in the execute sequence. (as a test: the exe should be launched if you run your setup in silent or basic UI mode: msiexec your.msi /b )