This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Add Remove Programs Icons

7 replies to this topic

Nash

Nash
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 October 2002 - 18:03

Hello,

The Win2k and XP Add Remove programs dialog box has an icon next to the installed product.

Where do I set this icon within the InstallShield IDE? Different users have different icons when installing my software which is very strange.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Cheers,
Nash

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 00:09

Wow, surprised no one answer your question already.

In any case, I also found it to be seemingly random until you have your InstallScript create a string value in the registry which refers to an icon/executable.

That registry location being HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\<YourInstallGUID> and the String value being DisplayIcon whose contents are the fully qualified path to the icon/executable of your choosing.
user posted image

Blake Miller Wonder

Blake Miller Wonder
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 15:18

I wrote a brief article, which is posted to this website, that describes many of the entries in the Add/Remove registry for Windows 2000.  The truth was already out there.
Blake Miller @ Wonderware

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 15:23

Is that the only place to find that icon?  The reason I ask is that I thought that's where it would be as well.  Then when I went to check on it yesterday, I couldn't find anything about an icon on the registry entries I looked at, yet almost all of the installed programs have their own unique icon.  After your answer today I went back and check all 51 entries under Uninstall - only 2 had that registry key!   I don't doubt that TB's suggestion does work (it obviously works for 2 of my 51 programs), but there has to be another way the other programs are displaying an icon as well.
There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent. (Mao Tse Tung)

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 18:24

BMW: Yes, I'm aware of your ARP article.  It could use an update though, but yes it does answer this question.  There are also several other posts asking this same question which a search would have easily revealed.

I was just surprised no one had responded to at least point to that article given the post had been up for 6 hours at that point.

Xitch13: Yes, my suggestion certainly does work, but I can say what those other entries are doing.  This is the only method that I am aware of.

If some those entries are Microsoft created ones well they of course know all the tricks.  However, the Windows Installer itself may even have some built-in functions to make this process more seamless thereby explaining some of the other entries.  I can't honestly say though since I don't want to touch MSI with a ten foot pole.

user posted image

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 20:39

Hey BMW,

I looked for your article, but was unable to find it.  Could you provide a link, or provide a road map for the sometime clueless ones amogst us (me being one of them)  :(

Thnx
There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent. (Mao Tse Tung)

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 22:17

It's under InstallScript Samples, so go to Extensions for InstallShield Pro: Operating System and scroll way down to "Extended Information in Add/Remove Program Control Panel".

However, it has the same DisplayIcon information that I gave you earlier, as well some other values & how they work.

user posted image

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 10:08

Setups installed using Windows Installer technology don't use this entry - MSI has different ways to store the icon.
For non-MSI setups you should use the registry entry already mentioned.