This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Patch erases dynamic registry info

1 reply to this topic

Justin Byers

Justin Byers
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2002 - 02:54

I seem to be having a lot of trouble with registry entries that are decided during an install, such as a serial number.
When I apply a minor upgrade, even if it has nothing to do with the component storing the serial number registry info, it will erase the information. I believe this is because it performs a "repair" or "reinstall" and when it does this, the information is not available, so it makes it blank.
Is there any way to prevent it from being overridden during a patch? I have tried setting the "Never overwrite" flag, but this will cause problems down the road when I want to install a new version on top which requires a new serial number.
Any insights into this would be greatly appreciated.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 22:20

The u and m in vomus are responsible for re-writing per User and per Machine registry data. Maybe if you leave them out this would help.
A better solution IMO would be to read the current registry value (using AppSearch/RegLocator) in maintenance mode.