This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Laptop Deployment

3 replies to this topic

Goods

Goods
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2002 - 18:22

Help,
I am currently working on a project in which we are deploying software through package msi's.  I am using the Veritas winstall LE to package these different software's.
The trouble is that the pc's work great while connected to the lan,  on reboot if you tryto use any of the applications then the installer starts,  of course it can't see the network location and then dies.  We are deploying the software through GPO. Does anyone know what the problem is or if it is being caused by our packaging program?

AdamBell

AdamBell
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 08:38

Goods,

I'm wondering what you are installing? Has the package been broken up to workstation/server side components? Are you advertising any features? What reason would the package want to connect to the install source for?

The last time I saw Wininstall Lite was on a 2K CD and it was fairly basic with what it could do (but it's been a while).

When you install an MSI, a copy is cached locally (uncompressed). Everytime the application is run, a check of the keypaths is performed (using the local copy). If a keypath is broken the package tries to repair itself.

It does this by returning to the location it installed from which is usually the network in corporate environments. This would explain why it breaks off the network (the SOURCELIST property can help with this).

Not much help I'm afraid, but it might get you in the right direction?!?!;) ;)

Cheers

Adam

Goods

Goods
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 12:41

Well,  I'm packaging everything.  For these individuals we're putting on Cable cad,  once it's on there it works great,  but when the user reboots and goes off line the installer starts working.  
I took a quick look in the WinstallLE for the source list but can't find it.  Maybe I can take a look with another packaging software package.

If anyone know 's where the source list is in LE that'd be a great help.

AdamBell

AdamBell
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 May 2002 - 11:37

Goods,

Take a look at the Microsoft Software Development Kit (SDK):

Platform SDK Download Page

There's a whole swag of good tools and stuff in here. Orca is like an Excel view of your MSI and is great once you get the hang of it. I spend most my time in this tool (sad I know!;)

Also well worth a look are the VBS scripts, and the MSI.chm (aka the BIBLE!;).

Perhaps take a look in the Component table and check out what keypaths (end column) are being used. It might give you a clue to why it's repairing itself ....

Cheers

Adam