This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Changing product properties of installed product

2 replies to this topic

Martin Bohring

Martin Bohring
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 12:02

Hello Installation creators,
I have created more than 20 setups during the last 2 years, but now I have run into a problem I can't solve all by myself.

I am creating basic MSI installs, because it blends more nicely with the earlier versions of InstallShield for Windows Installer.

During the installation the user has to enter name, optional organisation and a license key.

I have created a custom action DLL to verify the license key (ProductID). If it is wrong I tell the user via a spawned dialog, but let him/her continue installation if decided so .

This should give him time to try the app for some evaluation period.

Do be able to enter the license key after installation, I need to read the ProductID (thats fine via MsiGetUserInfo) and change it to the entered license key from my app.

I see no possibility of doing that, but to change the registry of the installer settings.

Is there a better more official MSI version independend way ?

Sometimes creating setups is like creation of the universe. 7 days and you have to bring in [i]everything[(i]

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 15:20

I have never tried it but

MsiCollectUserInfo may be useful in this case
Ian Blake
(Currently Unemployed)

Martin Bohring

Martin Bohring
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 March 2002 - 17:10

Hello,
thanks for the suggestion, but I stumpled already across that function.
The documentation is not exactly clear about the firstrun dialog sequence executed if using the
internal UI and with maximum UI level set by the calling app. I have tried with no success
(Installer comes up with its starting dialog and returns sucess, but no UI at all)
Maybe that HWND parameter is much more important than stated in the docu.
As always with MSI its a try and fail aproach, because the docu is still
not up to MS standards and in my opinion structured misleading .
I wil give it another try and on non sucess fall back to directly
accessing the MSI registry settings, knowing its a hack
Sometimes creating setups is like creation of the universe. 7 days and you have to bring in [i]everything[(i]