This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

"per machine" installation after "per user"

5 replies to this topic

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 13:31

If I install my setup with "per user" mode in an account X and after I install this setup in an another account with "per machine" mode then if I go back to account X I've to uninstall it twice. Why this?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 13:38

Because you installed twice: for user X and for ALL users. So you have to remove both.

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 13:44

So is this normal? is it the case with any setup or should I modify something?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 14:36

yes that's by design and makes a lot fo sense IMHO.

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 15:03

all right then

I've a related question.
To prevent error ICE57, I've created a component which put a shortcut on the desktop to the mainapp.exe.

The keypath of this component is a key under HKCU so if I install my app on differents accounts, the shortcut is always created even if the mainapp.exe is already present. But with the above scenario, there is 2 shortcuts on the desktop of the account X because the setup was launched first as per user and after per machine.

Is there a solution to avoid this?

Edited by lavocat, 19 January 2006 - 15:06.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 16:56

I would say "don't install twice if you don't want to have it twice". I guess I don't understand your scenario why you need to install the package twice (first per user then per machine). Maybe you want to enforce a per-machine install, or allow only per-user installs, or display a message during the per-machine install if a per-user install already exists?