This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrade does not return properties

2 replies to this topic

Aaron_Bashire

Aaron_Bashire
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 22:51

I've created an install that is a major upgrade to my product. The package code and product code have been changed and the upgrade is being correctly recognized via the upgrade code.

When I run the installation, the existing installation is removed, feature migration occurs correctly and I install all of the correct features without user interaction. However, the install is dropping any property settings on the existing install and replacing them with their defaults.

As such I get behavior like:

MYPRODUCTDIR="C:\Program Files\MyCompanyName\MyProduct" instead of:

MYPRODUCTDIR="C:\Program Files\UserDefinedName\UserDefinedFolder".

Also registry keys that should be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MyCompanyName\Val="UserVal" are instead:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MyCompanyName\Val="DefaultVal"

I assume that I'm missing something simple, but I don't see it. Any incite into this would be greatly appreciated.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 16:37

Property values are like variables: they only keep their value while the install is running. They are not persisted (not even for reinstall/repair). You would have to save your property values to registry, abd read them using AppSearch & RegLocator.

Aaron_Bashire

Aaron_Bashire
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 18:06

Stefan,

Yeah, I was starting to come to that conclusion. It just seems like a lot of leg work for something that would seem to be pretty common. As such, I had hoped that there might be a catch-all way of caching these settings for reinstall.

I was planning on following your suggestion if it didn't work out that way. Thanks.

Edited by Aaron_Bashire, 20 July 2005 - 19:03.