This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installation asking for location of PIM.MSI file

3 replies to this topic

hemansu

hemansu
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 03:30

Hi,

I have a MSI installation package (for VB desktop application) that was developed for NT4. Now I am trying it out on Windows XP. It is working fine for many system.
But there is group of system (in subsidary firm) which has Windows XP, and when I try to run this MSI package it says "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. " Then it asks for the location of PIM.MSI file.

I have not use anything by name PIM, so I am unsure why this message is coming up.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Images

• image001.jpg

Edited by hemansu, 25 August 2004 - 03:31.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 03:43

This may be caused by your own application being installed from a network share that was later removed, OR it could be that your setup / application invokes a feature of a different product that is advertised. If this happens windows installer will try to install that requested feature, and if it cannot found the source installation files the setup will fail.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

hemansu

hemansu
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 04:10

Hi,

the installation is not using any feature over the network. And the installation file is on the CD.

I tried installing through the same CD on my laptop having Windows XP without any network connection (internet/intranet) and its working fine.

I am wondering if there is anything to do with the build of the system where the error is occuring.

Do have idea about PIM.MSI?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 08:29

This article might help:
http://www.msifaq.com/a/1037.htm