This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Paths and settings gone during Uninstallation

8 replies to this topic

vvasilev

vvasilev
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 15:48

Hi everyone,

the installation of the features (products) I have in InstallShield works great.
Nevertheless when I go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, click "Change", choose "Modify" and try to add/remove/update a feature,
all my selections and settings, which I chose during the installation, are gone! All the features in the Custom Setup dialog appear as unselected, also all path variables are empty. The Installer doesn't know where the source files are and what was (or wasn't) installed...
And of course I can't do anything and get only errors.

Did I miss something to set up or this is standard behaviour?
What can be done in this case?

I'm using InstallShield 2009 Pro

Thanks in advance,

Vasil

Edited by vvasilev, 25 June 2009 - 09:58.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:53

"Repair" shouldn't take you to the feature selection dialog. The "Modify" button should do this. Maybe when you customized your setup you broke something there?
A verbose log file might also give some clues.

vvasilev

vvasilev
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:59

I meant "Modify", not "Repair", sorry! I'll correct the first post

vvasilev

vvasilev
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 14:28

What I was trying last to do is to write all the installation settings in the registry and then when the user chooses "Modify" to load them and start the modify process with these settings... but unfortunatelly that doesn't work too sad.gif

I'm really out of ideas...

Here some screenshots from my installation:

1. When installing I chose all features but PDV Client and the subfeature AutoCAD2000
user posted image

After the installation completed successfully, I go to Add/Remove Programs, choose Modify and it looks like this:
user posted image

Any ideas?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 15:05

Maybe the RegisterProduct action doesn't work properly (or is missing?)
Did you generate a verbose log of the install? http://www.msifaq.com/a/1022.htm

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 22:47

Are you perhaps hacking about with the Preselected property? I have seen similar problems when I manually tweaked the Preselected property to make a major upgrade patch work. Do a verbose log and check what the value of Preselected is or wheter it is present at all.

Also worthwhile to check if there are any feature conditions (Condition table) that mess around with the Level value for each feature, or if there are custom actions messing around with the INSTALLLEVEL property.

Finally check whether the feature is set to favour local install or run from source.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

vvasilev

vvasilev
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:18

@Stefan Krueger
I just made a verbose log and it seems the RegisterProduct action returns the value 1. That means it works properly, doesn't it? Below a short snippet of the log.

@Glytzhkof
The Preselected property is present and has the value 1.

The INSTALLLEVEL value is what I'm changing from the standard 100 to 125, if the user selects Custom Installation on the Setup Type dialog. Then in the InstallScript function I check this value and if it's 100, I'm executing certain function.
Can that be the catch?! huh.gif

All my features are set to favour local

Thanks for your help!

Vasil

CODE

MSI (s) (04:24) [08:48:59:937]: Doing action: RegisterProduct
Action 08:48:59: RegisterProduct. Product will be registerd
Action started at 08:48:59: RegisterProduct.
RegisterProduct: Product will be registerd
MSI (s) (04:24) [08:48:59:937]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding ProductToBeRegistered property. Its value is '1'.
Action ended at 08:48:59: RegisterProduct. Return value 1.
MSI (s) (04:24) [08:48:59:937]: Doing action: PublishComponents
Action 08:48:59: PublishComponents. Qualified Components will be published
Action started at 08:48:59: PublishComponents.
MSI (s) (04:24) [08:48:59:953]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: PublishComponent
MSI (s) (04:24) [08:48:59:953]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: PublishComponent 4: SELECT `PublishComponent`.`ComponentId`, `PublishComponent`.`Qualifier`, `PublishComponent`.`AppData`, `Feature`, `Component`.`ComponentId`, `Component`.`RuntimeFlags` FROM `PublishComponent`, `Component`, `Feature`  WHERE `PublishComponent`.`Component_` = `Component`.`Component` AND `PublishComponent`.`Feature_` = `Feature`.`Feature` AND ((`Feature`.`Action` = 1 OR `Feature`.`Action` = 2)  OR (`Feature`.`Action` = 4 AND `Feature`.`Installed` = 0) OR (`Feature`.`Action` = 3 AND (`Feature`.`Installed` = 1 OR `Feature`.`Installed` = 2 OR `Feature`.`Installed` = 4)))
Action done at 08:48:59: PublishComponents. Return value 0.

MSI (s) (04:24) [08:48:59:953]: Doing action: PublishFeatures
Action 08:48:59: PublishFeatures. Product-Features will be published
Action started at 08:48:59: PublishFeatures.
PublishFeatures: Feature: Product-Features will be published
Action done at 08:48:59: PublishFeatures. Return value 1.
MSI (s) (04:24) [08:48:59:953]: Doing action: PublishProduct
Action 08:48:59: PublishProduct. Product information will be published
Action started at 08:48:59: PublishProduct.
1: Product information will be published
Action done at 08:48:59: PublishProduct. Return value 1.

Property(S): Preselected = 1
Property(S): INSTALLLEVEL = 125

Edited by vvasilev, 07 July 2009 - 07:37.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:59

Hi, it sounds a bit strange what you are doing there. To be honest I am not quite following what's happening.

Maybe check the SDK one more time: http://msdn.microsof...536(VS.85).aspx

It's pretty likely that something is going haywire for non-fresh installs with regards to your custom actions and the INSTALLLEVEL.

The Preselected property is set to 1 whenever a "conscious feature selection" has been made - for example from the command line.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

vvasilev

vvasilev
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:37

It's pretty simple what I'm doing. Other question is if it's efficient smile.gif

I was changing the install level value from the default 100 to 125, if the user selects Typical Installation on the Setup Type dialog. I changed that yesterday - now I'm using the property _IsSetupTypeMin and don't change the INSTALLLEVEL value smile.gif

I found the problem - all my features (except one) don't have destination folder and don't do anything actually. I only use the features to ask the user to make his/her selection and then according to that selection (feature states) I execute some custom actions. The features had also no components.

I found out that, if there are no files, registry entries, shortcuts and so on, associated with the features, the Installer marks them as inactive during Modify/Repair, regardless of the selection during the installation.