This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

incorrect command line parameters

11 replies to this topic

pant

pant
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 21:29

whenever i try to execute msiexec.exe or any *.msi i get "incorrect command line parameters" dialog. In services its parameter is /V and its started. win2k sp4 & msiexec 2.00.2600.1183. Thanks

pant

pant
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 21:30

this:

Attached Images

• msiexec.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 09:12

Are you installing from the local hard disk, from CD or from network?
Do you have an AppSearch in your setup that searches for a registry entry that might return a multi-line value?

pant

pant
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 15:25

Thank you.

I'm installing from the local hard disk, witch is not the system disk, still it doesn't help if I copied the file to windows disk.

No, the above dialog is given without an appsearch. Dialog is given "momentally".

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 09:15

If your MSI file name contains spaces, make sure you double-quote this name in the command-line.

pant

pant
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 11:02

It's not about any msi file in particular. The msiexec.exe itself gives the same answer- for no input maybe?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 18:03

if you launch msiexec with no parameters, it will always bring up that dialog that tells you what parameters to use.

pant

pant
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 21:38

Launching msiexec.exe gives me the above dialog, with no parameter hints. Only trelling me tahat JPEG incorporated has connections with Windows Installer.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 11:23

....and the version number. That's true. This has changed in MSI 3 where it tells you about the command line parameters. But you can always look them up in the documentation.

pant

pant
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 18:38

Do you think it could help if I installed MSI3.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 09:59

No, this would only change the error message. You need to find out why starting an install brtings up that message.
Did you look at Zweitze's suggestion?
Generate a log file to see what the exact command line is.

pant

pant
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:39

Thank you very much for your effort. I was trying to get that logfile you suggested today and instead error I got installation. I had never tried to install from command line before. I was just clicking on the installer package. Thank you again.