This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installation fails when Publishing MSI via GPO

2 replies to this topic

DavidCahill

DavidCahill
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 16:20

Hi,
I have an installation that when published via GPO fails when logged on as a 'standard' user. When logged on as a local administrator, the installation works fine. The error messages I receive are "MySetup Failed" and "Fatal error during installation" (see attached gif).

The installation uses some ISScript custom actions. The log file doesn't tell me anything and contains only a few lines

=== Verbose logging started: 2002-05-15 16:04:06 Build type: SHIP UNICODE 1.11.2405.00 Calling process: C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe ===
1: 1903 2: C:\Documents and Settings\dc\Application Data\Microsoft\Installer\{04EA2137-CEBC-4048-904C-57C6E843A6D1}\
=== Verbose logging stopped: 2002-05-15 16:04:06 ===

All other published MSI's do not need to have admin rights to install.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem would be much appreciated.

Regards,
David
David

AdamBell

AdamBell
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 15:54

David,

It could be a few things I have seen errors when an app specifically for XP is attempted to be installed on 2K.

Does it install ok using a normal user without being assigned through GPO? If not, generate an MSI install log (/l*v switch) and scan through there. Other great tools are RegMon and FileMon. See what it's trying to do, look for "failed" on access attempts in the log.

Check the launch conditions (Privelaged etc).

Are applications being installed elevated? This gets around many problems on 2K XP. It can either be set as a group policy in AD, or in the properties table in the MSI (See the msi.chm). This is also the best way to work around applications that require admin rights.

All that being said and some applications just require admin rights to install. Some of the time you can work around it.

Hope this helps.  :)

Cheers

Adam

DavidCahill

DavidCahill
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 16:12

Hi Adam,
the installation works fine when you run it by just double clicking the MSI. I've tried logging the install, but all I get is the few lines mentioned in the first post. The description of the errors in the application log of the event viewer are the same as the errors that appear when trying to run the published install, i.e. "MySetup Failed" and "Fatal error during installation", so this doesn't offer any useful information.

The installation is being run using Elevated Privileges.

I was under the impression that once an application was assigned using GPO that the user running the installation didn't need admin rights. Is this correct?

Having said this, I also tried to remove my AdminUser launch condition from the package. Even with this condition removed, the product still would not install.

Any more suggestions you might have would be appreciated.

thanks,
David
David