This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

service start order

2 replies to this topic

DeusApprime

DeusApprime
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 December 2001 - 11:12

Hi, I have a q:
If my package installs more than one service, and they are dependent on each other, how can I control the order in which MSI starts them after setup (not during boot)?

(Edited by DeusApprime at 12:13 pm on Dec. 23, 2001)

Kurt Schneider

Kurt Schneider
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 January 2002 - 17:20

Greetings,

I was able to re-organize which Services start up by modifiying the "Service Install" table using ORCA.  There is also a table called "Service Control" which you may want to modify as well to match what you do with Service Install.

Good Luck

Kurt

DeusApprime

DeusApprime
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 09:10

Oh, I found the solution without the need to modify the tables. It's pretty simple:
I found out that the DependOnService takes affect also at service-registration time. This means that if you specify dependencies in the setup project, they WILL be valid when MSI starts the services, and this is because MSI just registered them.
I didn't see this before, since changing the DependOnService directly in the registry does not take affect immediately. The SCM reads this value at boot time, and also when a new service registers (as I mentioned earlier).
Bottom line: all I need to do, is ask MSI to start only the high-level services. SCM will automatically start the others.