This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Windows Installer setups on Windows XP

2 replies to this topic

Kelly Lawson

Kelly Lawson
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 October 2001 - 17:23

I have a setup that I built using ISWI 1.52, and it works fine on Win95, 98, NT and 2K, and the beta versions of Windows XP.  We've been trying it with the WinXP RC1, and it behaves strangely.  The setup will complete ok, the software will run fine, and the uninstall will complete ok, but if we then try to reinstall, we get an error message stating that the windows installer service could not be accessed, ensure you're computer is not in Safe Mode...  If we check the service, it is stopped and has been set to manual.  If we then restart the service, we still get the same error message.  The only way to get around the problem is to re-register msiexec.exe using the command line /regserver.  We can then install again.  

I know that WinXP RC1 has a newer version of the installer (v2.0), has something changed that would account for this problem?  Has anyone else ran into this?

Thanks for your time.

Anthony Hughes

Anthony Hughes
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 October 2001 - 10:36

We have several dozen MSI's built with 1.5 and 2.01 that have been used extensively on the last few builds of XP and have not seen anything like this.

Dunno if that helps or not 8-o

Anthony